1. We've been doing an AMAZING job creating our classroom community. Today we participated in the "Marshmallow Challenge" and we had an amazing class discussion surrounding the successes and failures around the 4 C's.
2. Next week, the "normal" school day will begin. That means official start of the reading, writing, math, and PBL/Genius hour/Digital Citizenship workshops. Want to know more? CLICK HERE to visit our website and read about each unit.
3. Here are the lesson plans for the year. Of course, they're not totally complete yet. I generally have a unit to unit framework. Each unit lasts approximately 4-6 weeks. However, keep in mind what I actually teach within these units fluctuates based on student needs. I differentiate (aka make sure each kid has material appropriate for their academic level) within the workshops so your kid gets exactly what they need. I use the data from previous week's work to inform the following week's direction, so, I can't get more than a week or two ahead. You never know what the kids will need!
4. Clear your calendars!!! We have an exciting new movie being released on Thursday, October 9th, at 10:30am, featuring non-other than your kids! We are inviting all of the parents in to see the movie premiere. We've invited staff members & we're hoping many can make it! You'll be hearing more very soon on the movie name.... All I can tell you is this movie will show you how our kiddos are learning about the 4 C's and what they mean to our classroom community. We'll be answering the questions, "How can we creatively make a movie to show what the 4 C's mean to our classroom community?" Movie Trailer coming VERY soon!
5. Want to know whats going on in the classroom? Just follow us on Twitter! Again, no Twitter account needed to see all our awesome posts. We've been blogging recently as part of an international blog challenge known as the "100 Word Challenge." We're posting our creative writing on Twitter. We've got videos and photos of the kids in action. We're posting our anchor charts, our STAR ticket winners, etc. We're Tweeting with and connecting with classes around the world! We have a mystery Skype planned tomorrow with a class in Iowa! Shhhh.... Don't tell them where the class is from because that will be part of the mystery! We're trying to open your child's eyes to the world around us while giving them an authentic platform to publish their work and have their voice heard. This is powerful stuff! The kids are digging it!
With Twitter, you'll literally feel like you're in the classroom, so check it out. We even have some parents Tweeting to us and interaction, so feel free to make an account and jump in the fun. Here is your first challenge, parents. Tweet to us @MisterCLoranger with the hashtag #MrCLoranger and tell us your favorite part about the work we've been doing so far! I'll share some responses next week. This will be a fun way to get actively involved in the learning with us. Of course, no pressure to join in.
That is all for now.... Any questions?